Monday, July 26, 2010

Holiness in Motherhood

The last few months I have made a great effort to improve my mothering and to find the joy in this journey I am on with my little family. Before our trip to Oregon, I bought a couple of books at D.I. by Linda Eyre. One of them was "A Joyful Mother of Children", which I read on our trip. If you're not familiar with the Eyre's, they have been writing books for decades on parenting, and they also founded the Joyschool Program. They are amazing and so motivating. Some of the great things I learned while reading "A Joyful Mother of Children," are the importance of and how to balance and organize family life, finding joy along the way, motherhood is the greatest career, and the significance of spirituality and fine-tuning ourselves. I wish I would have taken more notes as I read because, looking back, I can't remember all that I thought I did. However, I do remember some things that really stuck out to me and have been trying to implement some of those things.

Last year for Mother's Day, Linda and her daughter, Shawni Pothier, came out with a book called A "Mother's Book of Secrets." Ben got it for me and I totally devoured it. I was totally hooked on their enthusiasm and love for mothering/parenting.

The thing that stuck with me the most from that book was that although we may feel like sometimes we're in the "trenches" with no light at the end of the tunnel, ther IS light at the end of the tunnel and there are things that will help us get through. At the end of the book Shawni printed her blog address, 71toes.blogspot.com . It's just her family blog, but the woman is amazing. I have read some of the most inspirational things on her blog, from decorating and what's on her walls , to what she with her son on his 12th birthday.

Her latest post is about Holiness in Motherhood and I really wanted to share it. She reminds us that although daily scripture reading and prayers may slip through our hands more often than we'd like to admit, mothering in and of itself IS holy and we can find holiness in the little moments if we will just switch our focus.

I've seen this video popping up a lot recently on blogs and on Facebook. It has given me great comfort and strength to know that we're not in this alone!

6 comments:

Dan and Melissa said...

That was a wonderful video! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Lacey Allen said...

This was awesome thanks Michele!

Rachel said...

Ohhhh, so sweet! LOVE this post!

Carolyn said...

I have been meaning to read A Joyful Mother of Children for a long time. That was a great post!

Ben and Summer said...

Thanks for this post, Michelle. So nice to hear right now! I would LOVE to learn about how to balance housework and mothering/play time. You've inspired me to read up on it rather than just wishing!

Stephanie said...

Thanks Michele. That was a great post! I really needed it.