Monday, March 31, 2008

Mothers Who Know

For the past week or so there is a talk from the last General Conference that has come to my mind quite frequently. It is the talk Mothers Who Know, by Julie B. Beck. It is an amazing talk and for me was a great outline of how I could become a better mother in Zion. The thing that especially stuck out to me was the paragraph entitled, Mothers Who Know Do less, in which she mentioned that these mothers were willing to live on less and take less of the world into their homes in order to spend more of their time and efforts on preparing their children in the gospel and having a Christ-centered home.
I think we are particularly challenged in this aspect because so many of the world's influences can so easily come into our homes. It's easy to start thinking that I need to look a certain way or buy this or that or live without of my means, when in reality, those are the things that don't really matter.
Since re-reading this talk and thinking about it a lot, I'm striving to be a better Mother Who Knows and being the best I can at it.

5 comments:

juli said...

I too have loved that talk. I also want to be a better Mother Who Knows! We are in constant need of reminders of what really matters in life. I am so looking forward to General Conference this weekend! Our leaders are truely inspired! Thanks for the post! Love Ya!

Rachel said...

Isn't that an awesome talk!?! I was googling it awhile back to try and find some information about it and was sad to see such a controversy about it. I guess a lot of women were angry about the words because they made them feel guilty! I think it's such an awesome talk and Sister Beck is amazing.

Jana Perkins said...

I have to add my two cents in as well, that talk was awesome! I played it over the internet for weeks following conference and think I have it memorized. Such great quotes in it. Love it!

Nicole said...

I Love that talk. It really spoke to me and gave me strength to face the struggles of being a mother in Zion. Julie B Beck is so awesom

Carolyn said...

I love that talk too! You are an awesome mother and woman!