1. Heat milk to about 185° s-l-o-w-l-y, on low heat. I started with a quart of milk. Do not stir.
2. Cool milk to about 110°. You can transfer to another container or cool it in the pan.
3. Add "starter." Buy some plain yogurt at the store and add about 3 tablespoons. You can use more for more milk. Mix well.
4. Pour milk into clean, dry containers and put lid on. Keep at about 110° until set (this will take several hours). We have found that a heating pad with a towel on top works great. Keep the thermometer inside and check the temperature often to make sure it stays around 110°.
5. Lastly, when yogurt is set, taste it while it's warm. It may sound ooey-gooey but it's really refreshing and mild, just so delicious. The yogurt won't be as set as the yogurt you see in the store because there is no added gelatin in it. It will also set up more once it is refrigerated. Store yogurt in the fridge and enjoy!
For more info and tips visit Homemade Yogurt For Baby & Family


3 comments:
I've seen this done on the Crockpo Lady's website http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/. She did it in the slow cooker of course, but I like your way better. Does it really taste okay? I'm tempted to try it, but I don't know if they kids would eat it.
Okay, holy moly. I once read the directions to make yogurt and it made me overwhelmed! You are amazing!!! What can you *not* do!? WOW!!! I bet it was tasty!!!
Jana, you just got to try it, even if you do just a quart. It has a really mild taste and it's not really sweet because there are no added sweeteners. We just add fruit that we've canned to it or use it in freh fruit smoothies and it gets it's sweetness from that. I"m sure your kids will eat it if they usually eat yogurt. Good luck.
Post a Comment