Saturday, July 18, 2009

"Stay-cation"

Thanks to my friend Alicia for the clever name. This week we had a stay-cation. Ben took most of his vacation this month and this week we didn't have anywhere to travel so we decided to try and find some local fun. Here's what we've been doing.

Ben did have to work Monday, but Tuesday we took off up the canyon to Cascade springs. When we arrived and were getting the girls out of the car, Shelby piped up and said, "one big happy family." I have no idea where that came from but she sure cracked us up. It was really beautiful and fun to walk around the boardwalk. Ben and I each took a pack and carried the girls. Afterwards we had a little picnic dinner and headed home down the other side of the mountain towards the Heber valley. We had noticed that our gas light was on and had no idea how long it would take us to get down the mountain and back to civilization where there would be a gas station. Luckily by the time we remembered we had our GPS in the car, we had her find the closest gas station and it was only 3 miles away. We filled up in Midway and took a few minutes to look around the town and all the Swiss influence; it was very cool. In Heber we stopped for some delicious ice cream and headed home.


On our way home Tuesday, we noticed the reservoir at Deer Creek and decided to come back and play at the "beach". It reminded Ben and I of our younger years at Pineview but we were disappointed it wasn't nearly as fun. The beach was really rocky and there wasn't really a good place to even wade or play in the water. We tried to make the most of it anyway.




Friday we donned our swim suits again, but this time we were headed to a pool. They had an Aggie Alumni day at the pool and they even brought us Aggie ice cream--mmm Aggie blue mint!! We had lots of fun. I went off the big drop-off slide, Shelby went down the little slide a few times and Erin chilled in the water with mommy and daddy. We were all tuckered by day's end; what a busy week.



In between all the fun we were having, we still had to take care of our garden, which has started to majorly produce!! We got a bunch of beans so I bottled a batch of dilly beans and we have tons of cucumbers so I decided to make some mustard pickles, a recipe I've been waiting to try for 5 years! They were delish.

6 comments:

Alicia said...

Yay! I'm so glad you had fun. I really think it's going to catch on :) And - a really good idea to only do ONE post about it. Mine got a little out of hand. SO FUN! P.S. Your girls are SO cute. It seems like just barely we were at Aggie Village and you were still pregnant with Shelby. Blink and you miss it, right?

Ben and Summer said...

WOW. I am IMPRESSED. You guys are so productive! I'm scared of canning because I think of it as taking days and days and being a huge mess in my house for days on end. But look at you just whipping it out! LOVE the pictures of the girls at the beach. So cute!

Dan and Melissa said...

Sounds like a way fun week! I love all the pictures, the girls are so darling! We just found out my brother is getting married in Sept, so we will be making the trek to Utah again. Maybe this time we can see you guys.......

Carolyn said...

Wow! Way to go on the canning. I love having a garden and fruit, but anything more than easy freezer jam and I would need some serious assistance. Good job!

Rachel said...

woAH, that really was a great stay-cation you had!!! I love all the pictures and fun things you did!! Oh how I miss Aggie Blue mint...mmm!!!

Carrie said...

It sounds like you had a great time. Brad and I are trying to do "stay-cations" on our weekends. He used all his vacation when Tagen was born. Oh, and I'm so jealous of your garden.