Monday, July 6, 2009

Catching Up

I know I haven't posted in almost a month but we've been pretty busy and not all of it is exciting. First of all, because of all the rain we received we have had TONS of weeds in our garden. It's a never ending battle with those weeds. Between both garden plots, we have a pretty large area. Once I get done weeding everything I have to start all over again. The good thing though is that everything is HUGE and growing great and we've already started eating some of the early stuff like peas, beans, beets, spinach, and cilantro. We also found our first red raspberries yesterday. We were so excited. There were only a few but we ate them up just about as fast as we saw them. I almost forgot our cherries are at their peak right now and Ben and I spent the weekend canning some so I could make cherry pie filling for my famous, delicious cherry chocolate cake! The rest we just freeze for our yummy fruit smoothies!
Here's Shelby posing in the peach tree.

Probably the highlight of our month was going camping. My cousin and his wife organized the first ever reunion for this side of the family so our kids could see each other and start getting to know one another. The campsite was great and the weather cooperated too, which was a plus. Sadly, I think the only pictures I took were when we first got there. Shelby's fingers accidentally got shut in the car door, traumatic for both Ben and I as well as Shelby; so I took a picture of them. Thankfully my dad had his camera out a bit and took some pictures of all of us. Shelby loved playing with all her cousins and her Auntie Laura.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Way to go, your garden goods look smashing!!! :)

Dan and Melissa said...

Aren't gardens the best? We are enjoying some stuff from ours as well. This year we put down this brown mesh stuff over the dirt and cut out holes for our plants. It has worked like a dream, we hardly have to weed at all...just around the actual plants. Maybe that would work for you guys next year. Costs a bit, but saves hours!! :-)

Lacey Allen said...

oh no.. Abi got her little hand shut in the car door too. No fun! I am glad you guys are doing well, I miss hanging out and chatting wiht you an dwalking around AV. Hope you are enjoying yoru summer and all that yummy fruit you have. xoxo