Monday, March 26, 2012

March Madness

March has been pretty eventful. We've started to emerge from the black hole of winter (although it really wasn't that bad) and the weather's even been nice enough to play at the park a bit. We started the month off with a last minute trip to Ogden to see Ben's grandpa Chris (Christopherson). He's starting to lose his memory so we decided to visit while he knew who we were, for the most part. It was a really nice visit. One of my favorite parts of the visit was Shelby sitting on the rocking chair most of the time entertaining Grandpa with her phone. They both had a blast. I was so amazed that Shelby wasn't one bit shy.




My other favorite part of the visit was stopping by Rita's Bakery. It's a little Mexican bakery at the bottom of 30th street, the street we used to live on (at the top end) when we were first married and still attending Weber. Anyway, we used to stop by occasionally to get sweet empanadas and fresh tortillas (still warm in the picnic cooler!). Since we don't make it up to Ogden that often, we thought we would do the same. The sweets were yummy but the tortillas were wonderful!!! I used half of them to make some enchiladas (yes, they're on the blog) and froze the other half to use later, probably for more enchiladas.

The past little while Ben and I have been really trying to have more family time, especially on the weekends. So we've instated Family Fun Fridays. Most of them have been lower key, but I did put one together that took a little more planning and effort in executing. We did an indoor camping theme. I started the evening off having the girls help Ben put up the kid tent, then go on a scavenger hunt gathering things they would take on a camping trip. We ended at the tent where we turned off the lights and turned on our glow sticks, sang camp songs, told (age-appropriate) ghost stories, recited "Going on a Bear Hunt" and ate s'mores trail mix. The girls had lots of fun and I really enjoyed putting it together. Of course nothing ever turns out how you plan; Ben fell asleep early and all the activities didn't last as long as I figured they would, but it was still enjoyed by all and hopefully a tradition we can keep doing Friday nights.



This month is has also been warm enough to get outside a bit and head to the park. Mostly we just go to the playground pretty much right outside our door, but sometimes we like to go to the big park too, weather and Paigey permitting. One day I wanted to take the girls out on a walk, Paigey and Erin in the stroller and Shelby on her scooter. I wasn't expecting a long walk, I just wanted to see if it was even going to be possible this summer trying to walk every morning like I usually do, but this time with three kids. Well, it failed miserably!!! We didn't get but 10 steps out of the door and Shelby was already crying and complaining that she was tired. NO WAY!!! I made her scooter to the corner of the intersection of our development (mere minutes mind you and she cried the whole way) and then Erin happily traded with her. We went around the other side of the development, heading to the big park. Erin was so proud of herself for not crying like her sister and she told me that she was so strong for riding the scooter!!! I don't know how I'm going to get out and exercise with three kids now. Maybe I'll just have to get up super early and run on the treadmill although I'd much rather be outside enjoying nature and letting my kids run and play. Well, at least we can still go to the park and Shelby won't complain about walking out the back porch or across the parking lot to either of them.



*Oops, I almost forgot a few celebrations this month! March 11th, 12th, and 13th we celebrate Emily's (niece) birthday, my mom's birthday and mine and Ben's anniversary. We usually get together for a big family dinner for birthdays so we got to celebrate my mom's and Emily's together. It was lots of fun and we ate delicious Hawaiian haystacks. I'm so lucky I get to make dessert for a lot of our family gatherings and I made a snickerdoodle layer cake. It was so delicious, nothing like I have ever tasted!!! Ben and I didn't end up doing anything for our anniversary (8 years), although we did get a sushi mat and plan on having a sushi night at our house soon and try our hand at it.