Sunday, July 27, 2008

Camping

Last week, for the holiday, Shelby and I decided to go camping with my parents and sister. We had never been camping with Shelby and I was excited to take her and see how she like it. We got to spend three nights there. Ben wasn't able to come up until the last night because of work, but he did eventually joined us. I was really glad for the diversion of being somewhere other than home, especially since I have finally been feeling better. I was also glad to be up in the mountains after hearing how hot it had been. It was so nice and relaxing to sit around a campfire, play in the water and visit with my family. I especially liked having s'mores every night. My mom actually made a pineapple upside down cake in the dutch oven for dessert, which was wonderful, but I couldn't resist having s'more over a campfire every night before I went to bed. You just can't go camping and not have a s'more.

Shelby ended up loving camping, especially the tent. The first morning she woke up at 3am, after falling off the mattress, and stood up. She first said hi to me, then called for Laura in the other tent, then realized she was in a tent and was so excited, she started saying, "tent, tent!" Shelby also had some close encounters with the chipmunks and other rodent-type animals that frequented our campsite. She and Laura fed them cheerios and oreos, which they loved, even though they shouldn't have. My mom and dad had fun making dutch oven meals, going on lots of hikes and a few bike rides. My dad also gave Laura a few lessons in how to use the sling shot as well.

Here are a bunch of pictures and captions, I'll let them tell the rest! If you can't see the pictures very well or read the writing, just click on the picture and it should come up in a bigger screen.









3 comments:

Dan and Melissa said...

Wow, that looks like tons of fun. I'm glad Shelby liked the tent...I wouldn't be so sure with Olivia. Love the pictures of her from the fire pit! Looks like you guys had a great time, and what a beautiful area!

Rachel said...

You rock that bandanna! I love letting babies getting disgustingly dirty in the mountains. :)

Carolyn said...

I love the mountains, especially when it is 100 degrees down below. Glad you are feeling better.