The past couple of weeks we've been working on our garden-tilling and raking, getting the furrows ready to plant and actually planting. About a month ago we put in our cool-weather veggies (peas and beans) and the last two Saturdays we've been putting in the rest. We didn't do so hot last year on our attempt at a garden due to our lack of knowledge and because it was already into June when we moved onto the farm and kind of late to start much...but we did anyway. We learned a lot from our landlord and our neighbors and I also read up on gardening during the winter so this year we would have better luck. We're crossing our fingers.
In our "little" garden, just to the side of our house, we have beans, peas, spinach cucumbers, onions and a pumpkin in the back. (no pictures yet). We have another plot in the back over the fence right next to the hay field where the raspberries are. There we managed 10 tomato plants 5 tomatillos, 4 short rows of corn, carrots, beets, cilantro, kohl rabi, broccoli, 2 acorn and 2 butternut squash, 1 cantaloupe and 1 watermelon. I think that's it. Do you think we over did it??? I tried not to do too much of one thing so we wouldn't be overloaded, but I guess we'll find out how everything grows. We have clay soil so we've already had trouble with some of the peas and carrots coming up. Anyway, no need to go on with too many details. Here are some fun pics.

Yes, Shelby is naked. She was supposed to be swimming in her pool with her swimming suit on, I guess it just got too hot for her out there!!! (By the way this was my first try at photoshop so pardon my attempt at covering up Shelby.)


3 comments:
How fun! I am jealous of the big plots in the sun. We can relate to the garden not doing to well after an enthusiastic attempt. It's made me not want to do it this year, although I know I should try again. I think our patch is too shaded though. I did learn that tilling compost into the dirt can loosen it up, or just putting it on top of the soil in the fall and letting it work itself in over the winter. Good luck this year!
Yay for Gardening! We are planting ours over Memorial Day. I hope it's not too late (?). Our peas were planted a while ago and are coming up. It is so fun! Even if we never get anything to grow, it seems so gratifying to attempt grow our own vegies.
Wow, sounds like you guys are going to have so much yummy stuff! I still think about where you live as being such a great thing for Shelby. I'm sure she is learning so much, and loves having so much room to roam.
Post a Comment