We had a small family party for Erin's birthday on Sunday. My parents and sister were here and Ben's parents and a couple of siblings actually drove down to join us as well. We were happy they were all there. Dinner was simple but I agonized for weeks about Erin's cake, don't ask me why. I think I'm dilusional because she will probably only remember what we show her in the pictures. Anyway, I finally decided to combine a couple of recipes to make this sort of layered apple spice cream cake with apple cider frosting and dulce de leche in the middle. Erin loves apples so I though it would be fun for her. The cake actually turned out yummy and moist, which I wanted, and it wasn't too sweet. My favorite part was the filling though-you just don't get any better than dulce de leche. I decided not to frost it and instead try my hand at marshmallow fondant-you've got to try everything once right? Although it was a fun endeavor in which I learned a few things, I'm not sure I'll use it again. I'll have to get better at frosting things the old fashioned way, I guess. Here's my attempt at fondant:












MMMMM cake....

And on a side note, Erin had her 1 year check up yesterday. She is a whopping 18.25 lbs and 29 inches long. She's happy and healthy, well mostly healthy, and the doc says she's perfect! Well, we think so anyway.
8 comments:
You are very talented, I love the cake! I can't believe she is already one year old.
Wow, the cake looks amazing and so cute as well! I'm sure glad Dan was able to join your for Erin's special party.
You Rock! That is an awesome cake. Great Job!
Great job on the cake! I should have paid you to make Owen's robot cake... mine was a frosting mess!
yeah, I struggle with frosting things, but shelby's birthday is coming up so I"m going to have to try to figure it out-we're making Dora cupcakes.
Wow! Great job on the fondant. The cake looks yummy!
The cake looks great! It is so cute! But it looks like WAY too much work. I may try fondant one day, but not anytime soon. :)
Ok...WOW!!!! I have decided to use fondant on Lilly's cake this year so I'll see how it turns out. That cake is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!!!
Post a Comment